The 2020 Presidential Race will be a strange one so it will be hard to predict.
However, I will make a few, mostly gut-based forecasts for the race. My predictions for the strange presidential season of 2020 include:
- Mainstream media outlets will run op-eds predicting Joe Biden’s (D-Delaware) presidential victory on the day he drops out of the race. Likewise, many of Joe’s centrist media admirers will attack Biden the moment he endorses whatever leftist the Democrats nominate for president.
- The Democrats will nominate a leftist for President; probably U.S. Senator Liz Warren (D-Massachusetts); but possibly U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont), or Andrew Yang (D-New York). The Democrats will nominate a leftist because that is what the primary voters want. Note, this strategy worked for Republicans in 2016. The Grand Old Party won when it went with the primary voters’ unorthodox choice.
- Many centrist Democrats and leftist intellectuals will back President Donald J. Trump (R-New York) if Democrats nominate a true leftist. In particular, many leftist intellectuals and centrists will leave the Resistance for Trumpland if the Democratic nominee talks tax increases.
- Impeachment will have no effect on the presidential race. Impeachment will not affect the presidential race; because most Americans view the impeachment effort as meaningless political theater.
- Economic issues will dominate the presidential race. Pundits and journalists; who keep ranting about the great economy, will receive a shock when voters make radical choices based on their empty bank accounts.
- Social Security will emerge as a major political issue next year.
- Andrew Yang’s popularity will make the basic income and technological unemployment major issues next year. Note: this will confuse pundits and journalists who know nothing about those issues.
- Journalists will say; and write, many stupid things about the basic income, technological unemployment, and Andrew Yang.
- Pollsters will get the outcome of the race wrong as they did in 2012 and 2016.
- The presidential election will be close with one candidate winning by a narrow margin. In fact, I think the race is too close to call and will remain so on the morning of 3 November 2020.
- The presidential race will be brutal, expensive, and ugly with unprecedented levels of nastiness and incivility on both sides. This time around Democrats will match President Donald J. Trump’s (R-New York) nastiness blow for blow. So there will be no moral high ground, only the gutter.
- President Donald J. Trump (R-New York) will say many stupid things about Democrats.
- Political discourse will get so offensive, confusing, and stupid, many people will tune the election out to preserve their sanity.
- Republicans will drive voters away by trying to make the race about stupid culture issues. For example, “Drag Queen Story Hour;” no I’m not kidding it exists and upsets some cultural conservatives.
Finally, the 2020 presidential election will be so strange people will remember it for generations to come.