It is easy to get confused about auto insurance these days because there seems to be an unlimited number of insurers out there.
Fortunately, websites like InsurancePanda.com make it easy to pick the best car insurance by using information like JD Power scores and AM Best Financial Grades to rate insurers. That means all you have to do is look over the list.
Here are InsurancePanda’s picks for the six best auto-insurance providers in the United States today:
- Amica Mutual. America’s first auto insurer; founded in 1907, is still one of the highest-rated. Amica was to found to provide the best overall customer service of the companies surveyed.
What you need to know about Amica:
- Low number of customer complaints.
- Limited amount of towing and repair coverage choices.
- Policies can be complex and hard to read.
- Received a perfect score on JD Power’s Claim Satisfaction Study.
- Online advisors have a reputation for being really helpful.
- 901 rating out of 1,000 at JD Power.
- A+ grade from AM Best Financial.
- USAA (United States Army Automobile Association). Founded by army officers in 1922, this company now provides insurance coverage to six million drivers.
What: you need to know about USAA:
- Policies are only offered to members of the military, veterans, and their families.
- Has a reputation for fair and competitive rates.
- No automatic payments available through most banks.
- Offers banking services through a credit union.
- Banking services can be accessed via a mobile app 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- 901 out of 1,000 rating at JD Power.
- A++ Grade from AM Best Financial.
- Auto-Owners Insurance. Although not well known this company offers policies through 6,000 agencies and 40,000 agents. It has three subsidiaries including Southern-Owners which only markets policies in Florida.
What you need to know about Auto-Owners Insurance.
- Only available in 26 states.
- High customer satisfaction ratings.
- Offers a variety of coverage offerings through the Auto-Owners Plus Package.
- An 892 out of 1,000 score at JD Power.
- A++ Grade at AM Best Financial.
- NJM Insurance Company. The New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company offers policies to select individuals in the Garden State.
What you need to know about NJM Insurance:
- Policies are only available in New Jersey.
- Only insures New Jersey State Employees and employees of New Jersey Business & Industry Association Members.
- High customer satisfaction rating.
- 899 out 1,000 score at JD Power.
- A+ Grade at AM Best Financial.
- Erie Insurance Exchange. This subscriber-owned company offers policies through a large network of agents. It also offers some commercial coverage policies for small businesses.
What you need to know about Erie Insurance:
- Policies are only available in 10 states and the District of Columbia.
- Offers 24-hour a day, seven a day week claim support.
- Won JD Power’s award for Highest Satisfaction in the Auto Insurance Purchase Experience.
- Polices are available in some Canadian Provinces.
- The number of discounts it offers is limited.
- 881 score out of 1,000 at JD Power.
- A+ Grade from AM Best Financial.
- The Government Employees Insurance Company is America’s best-known auto insurer because of its many TV commercials featuring characters like the Gecko. GEICO is part of Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK.B) empire.
What you need to know about GEICO:
- Policies are available to almost everybody.
- Offers fast coverage and insurance quotes online and through the phone.
- Will offer some drivers with violations on their records competitive rates.
- High customer service ratings.
- Competitive prices.
- Low-cost policies available.
- An 870 out of 1,000 score at JD Power.
- A++ grade at AM Best Financial.
Click here to see the rest of the 25 best auto insurance companies in America.