Face wear, glasses, and masks form a big percentage of virtual reality products. Many industries including entertainment, health, and sports use AR and VR. Investment in AR and VR will reach 15.5 billion euros in 2022, according to a 2018 forecast from IDC Research. In this article, we discuss the future of augmented and virtual reality technology.
Augmented reality overlays the pre-existing reality through smart glasses and smartphones. It superimposes computer-generated photos on a tech device to create a different reality. The technology often works with the Internet of Things (IoT). Mobile games like Pokemon Go have augmented reality elements.
Tech gurus estimate that virtual reality has a bigger market than augmented reality. But, AR has a large share in the tech market. For example, one forecast predicted that VR would be worth $15 billion by 2023 while AR would be worth $75 billion. Soon, augmented reality will start generating more revenue than virtual reality, according to a study by Perkins Coje.
The following are some future augmented reality trends:
- Retail and shopping: Augmented reality has a huge influence on the retail industry. Fashion and retail have many applications that offer an enjoyable shopping experience. Through augmented reality, clients can see products before making purchases.
- Entertainment: Mobile gaming apps like Pokemon Go use AR. The technology creates an interactive landscape for gamers, thus helping the entertainment industry grow.
- Health care: Augmented reality helps doctors and surgeons examine and treat different organs in the body of a patient. For example, EchoPixel develops advanced images devices that help doctors display 3D models using CT images. The system uses glasses to form 3D visuals and four cameras that track a doctor’s movements.
In future, companies will have to integrate augmented reality and virtual reality to digitize crucial operations. Statistics state that more than 45 percent of European firms will have AR and VR strategies by December 2020. Nowadays, many markets demand for affordable applications.
Tech firms need to improve virtual interfaces to avoid clipping and other defects. Some people suffer from motion sickness when they wear VR headsets for long. Many virtual reality casinos offer a virtual reality experience to pundits. 8k VR headsets will be released into the market soon.
They use powerful processors and companies might integrate them with Artificial Intelligence. The 5G generation network will connect big user communities and extra devices. It has an imperceptible latency that enables consumers to receive real-time images.
Here are three future trends of virtual reality:
- Improved headsets: Daydream View has a remote, 12-hour battery life and customizable hardware. In future, virtual reality headsets will have inbuilt cameras that will blend the virtual and real worlds.
- Haptic feedback: Haptic feedback systems are expected to start using wearable devices to replicate the sense of touch. They will help consumers touch things in the virtual world.
- Virtual reality meets artificial intelligence: VR will merge with AI to generate and recognize a wide variety of patterns. Artificial intelligence will minimize motion sickness in virtual reality users.
Technology has developed over the past two decades. Businesses and other organizations have adopted virtual reality and augmented reality to increase their efficiency and production.
In the past, some people considered AR and VR as science fiction. But, the technologies have a wide variety of applications today. Soon, tech firms will start manufacturing VR headsets that don’t need cables.